Assignment choices for Monster by Walter Dean Meyers (70 points)
Required (40 points)
Options (choose any activities that will add up to a total of 30 points)
- Read the novel with the class and on your own.
- Be prepared to take part in class discussions, online discussions, and one-on-one discussions with myself or a peer.
- Create a web page that uses your topic as its focus.
Any options you choose will ultimately be presented on your web page. Au moins un de tes choix doit etre soumis en francais.
- Provide brief descriptions of the main characters. (5)
- Describe where Steve lives. (5)
- Create an art project which illustrates your favourite scene in the novel. It can be 2D or
3D and/or it can be created with computer technology. If it is not created on the
computer, expect to scan it, or a picture of it, in order to include it in your web
- Create a time line of the major events of the novel. (5)
- Include a crossword puzzle of at least 20 words based on themes from this novel.
puzzlemaker.com to do this activity. (10)
- Create an online quiz and answer page for other students to complete. (10)
Examples of online quizzes:
- Identify at least two themes from the novel. Provide examples from the book that support your choices.(5)
- Find at least 3 Internet resources about life in prison. Present your findings as links on your web page. (5)
- Design a new cover for the novel. It should reflect the the novel's mood and setting. (5)
Steve is writing a movie script about his experiences. Choose one scene to perform with some friends. You could document your planning and performance in any way you like (video, photos,drawings...) for presentation on your web page. (5)
- Make a video of Steve describing the challenges he faced throughout the novel. (10)
- Conduct a research project about teens in jail. Include an annotated bibliography of at least 10 entries.(10)
- Present your assignments to the class (5)
Back to Outlines Page
Back to Main Page