History of Quebec and Canada:
Unit 2 - Continuing Explorations
PLEASE SEE LEVEL B UPDATE!
Completion date: End of day on Monday, October 13, 2003 (Day 1)
Level C - worth a maximum grade of 70
To achieve Level C, complete the required tasks plus three of your choice
If you complete one of the assignments in a second language of
your choice it is worth double.
Your choices - choose 3
- Listen to lecture or read pp. 12-22 or
read web site sections for module 1 and make rough notes
- Make good notes in good notes notebook/duotang
- Answer questions in workbook
- Complete sample test questions (Friday, October 10, 2003)
- Complete Checking Up - Module One on pp.24 and 25 of your workbook
- In your own words, write a brief biography of Samuel de Champlain. Click here for an example of a biography.
- In your own words, describe how the Amerindian and French cultures influenced each other (at least one page, double-spaced)
- Create a dictionary for the following words:
The dictionary must be written in your own words.
- colony and colonists
- Coureurs des Bois
An illustration and/or sample sentence must be included for each definition.
- Create a Powerpoint presentation about the events we have studied so far. You can use your good notes to help write the text. Be sure to include some images as well as text.
- Create a comic book entry for each of these six topics:
- Natural Resources
- Samuel De Champlain's activities
- The fur trade
- Amerindians and French: Mutual Influences
- Create a timeline of the events we learned about in this section.
This can be illustrated with drawings or collage - 10 points.
- Create a 10 question quiz on this section of the course.
A separate answer sheet must be included with the quiz.
Level B - maximum grade of 85
To get full marks for this Level you must complete:
- Level C required assignments and 2 choices
- 1 of the following assignments.
- Take part in the mural project. THIS PROJECT IS WORTH LEVEL C CHOICES AND LEVEL B FOR UNITS 1 AND 2. I WILL BE OFFERING THIS PROJECT FOR EACH MODULE. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED THE UNIT 1 ASSIGNMENTS (WHICH YOU SHOULD HAVE BY NOW...) CONSIDER THEM USEFUL AS BACKGROUND RESEARCH THAT WILL MAKE YOUR MURALS EVEN BETTER :)
Create a 'mural' (approx. 4'x5') about all of Module 1 in a group of 2-3 students.
The mural must include images and/or words that represent the following categories:
- Culture and Society (transportation, clothing, food, social structure...)
- Territory (who lived where?)
- Economy ($$$$)
- Politics (who was in power?)
- Sense of Time (dates)
Planning sketches must be submitted.
A written report must accompany the mural, the report could be presented orally, in that case I need to see the notes you made to prepare for the oral report. See me for an outline of the report.I will be asking each member of your group to discuss all of the key elements of the mural, you must show a solid understanding of the categories.
- Create a poster for each of the three diagrams on pp. 22 and 23.
- You must represent the diagrams in a different way then they are represented in the workbook
- A paragraph describing the information in the diagram must be written for each diagram.
- Choose one day from this period in time and create a small newsletter for this date.
You should include at least 4 separate articles. There can be obituaries, current events,
Please keep the sense of history in mind - there probably would not be
concert announcements or seat sales on airplanes...:)
This could also be presented orally instead of in written form. An appointment must
be made with me in order to present the assignment if it is not taped.
- Write a short play about the fur trade. Be sure to include the following elements:
Click here to see a sample play.
- the appropriate characters (see p. 18)
- a realistic conflict or problem (see p. 19)
- a list of the characters and a description of the setting must also be included with your play.
Level A - maximum grade of 100
In order to receive full marks for Level A you must complete:
- Level C: required assignments + 1 of your choice
- 1 choice from Level B
- 1 of the following assignments
Major research project.
A minimum of 3 sources (books, magazines, Internet sites…) must be used. Please see the proper essay format in order to complete this assignment properly.
Choose one of the following options:
- Research some of the effects that the French had on the Amerindian population in North America. Try to address at least two of the following questions in your essay:
- How did the contact with the French change the traditional way of life for the people of the Iroquois nation?
- How do you think modern life been effected by these influences?
- What are some traditions that still exist?
- How do you think things would be if the French had never come to North America?
Some starting points:
- Research what it may have been like to live in Canada during the time of Samuel de Champlain. Be sure to include at least two aspects of daily life, some Native influences, as well as some information on exploration. Finally, answer the question: was life during the time of Champlain a positive or negative experience? Be sure to back your opinion with solid evidence from your research.
Some starting points:
If you do not have access to the Internet but would like to try the Level A activity, please see me!
Return to the unit outlines starting page.
Return to the main page.