Level C Basic Understanding (65 points)
Required (35 points)
Options (choose any activities that will add up to a total of 30 points)
- Read the novel with the class and on your own.
- IMPORTANT Submit a list of the activities you have chosen from each level. You can choose to stop at level C, continue to stretch your mind by adding Level B activities, or really challenge yourself with the Level A activity.
- Be prepared to take part in class discussions, online discussions, and one-on-one discussions with myself or a peer.
- Create a web page about The Catcher in the Rye
Any options you choose will ultimately be presented on your web page. Au moins un de tes choix doit etre fait entierement en francais.
- Provide brief descriptions of Holden and the people he meets throughout the novel. (5)
- Describe the setting of the novel. (5)
- Complete the content questions. (5)
- Define these vocabulary words in English and provide a synonym in French. (5)
- Create an art project which illustrates your favourite scene in the novel. It can be 2D or 3D and/or it can be created with computer technology. If it is not created on the computer, expect to scan it, or a picture of it, in order to include it in your web page.(10)
- Create a time line of the major events of the novel. Map out Holden's actions using quotations from the text, pictures from magazines, and drawings. This could be done on paper or using any technology you like (PowerPoint, Inspiration,...) (10)
- Include a crossword puzzle of at least 20 vocabulary words from this novel.
puzzlemaker.com to do this activity. (10)
- Create an online quiz and answer page for other students to complete. (10)
Examples of online quizzes:
- Identify at least two themes from the novel. Provide examples from the book that support your choices.(5)
- Find at least 5 Internet resources (the links that I have provided for you on the main assignment page aren't allowed!) about Holden Caulfield. Present your findings as links on your web page. (5)
- Design a new cover for the novel. It should reflect the the novel's mood and setting. (5)
- Make a video of Holden describing the challenges he faced throughout the novel. (10)
- Create a translation guide for the slang that Holden uses in the novel. Each entry should include the 1950s slang and its equivalent 2003 form. (5)
- Present your assignment to the class (5)
Level C Basic Understanding
Level B Application
Level A Critical Analysis
Return to The Catcher in the Rye Web Project Outline
Return to the main page