Level C Basic Understanding (70 points)
Required (40 points)
Options (choose any activities that will add up to a total of 30 points)
- Read the novel with the class and on your own.
- Be prepared to take part in class discussions, online discussions, and one-on-one discussions with myself or a peer.
- Here is one online discussion you can take part in: No Books!
- Submit your chosen topic.
- Create a web page that uses your topic as its focus.
Any options you choose will ultimately be presented on your web page. Au moins un de tes choix doit etre fait en francais.
- Provide brief descriptions of the members of Parvana's family. (5)
- Describe where Parvana lives. (5)
- Create an art project which illustrates your favourite scene in the novel. It can be 2D or
3D and/or it can be created with computer technology. If it is not created on the
computer, expect to scan it, or a picture of it, in order to include it in your web
- Create a time line of the major events of the novel. (5)
- Include a crossword puzzle of at least 20 words based on themes from this novel.
puzzlemaker.com to do this activity. (10)
- Create an online quiz and answer page for other students to complete. (10)
Examples of online quizzes:
- Identify at least two themes from the novel. Provide examples from the book that support your choices.(5)
- Find at least 3 Internet resources (the links from the topic list aren't allowed!) about life in Afghanistan at the time of the novel. Present your findings as links on your web page. (5)
- Design a new cover for the novel. It should reflect the the novel's mood and setting. (5)
- The attan is a traditional dance from Afghanistan. Research this dance and perform it with some friends. You could document your research and performance in any way you like (video, photos,drawings...) for presentation on your web page. (5)
Here is a picture with a brief description of the dance from National Geographic.
- Make a video of Parvana describing the challenges her family faced throughout the novel. (10)
- Create a picture dictionary of the clothing described in the novel. Each entry should include the Afghan name, a description in English, and a description in French. (5)
- Research traditional Afghan cuisine. Include recipes and a personal review of the food (that means you'll have to cook, taste, and I really wouldn't mind sharing!) in your report. (10)
- Present your assignment to the class (5)
Level C Basic Understanding
Level B Application
Level A Critical Analysis
Return to The Breadwinner Web Project Outline
Return to Enhancing Student Learning Through Layered Web Projects