Level B Application (85 points)
Level C (70 points)+ 15 points chosen from the following activities
- Choose at least three pieces of music that you feel would reflect the mood of three different parts of the novel. Indicate the songwriters/composers and why you chose each piece. (5)
- Parvana planted flowers at the market for Window Woman to have something beautiful to look at. Plant flowers in a place that you feel could use some added beauty. Chart their growth and record the reactions of the people who live nearby. (5)
- On page 89, Parvana realizes that she, disguised as a boy, could act as escort for her mother and Nooria so that they could go outside. Up until then they had had to stay indoors all of the time, their moods brightened considerably when they were able to go for a walk and stretch their legs in the warm sunshine. Why do you think the fresh air and excercise had such an impact on the women? While this is an opinion piece, make sure to base your ideas in fact. Include at least five links to online resources that you use to help form your opinion. (10)
- Create a slide presentation which compares and contrasts Parvana's life with your own.
- Rewrite part of the story from another character's point of view. (5)
- Parvana is based on a real person. How do you think her life has changed since the Taliban were pushed out of power? While this is an opinion piece, make sure to base your ideas in fact. Include at least five links to online resources that you use to help form your opinion.
Take a look at National Geographic's Change Slow for Afghan Women to get you started.(10)
Level C Basic Understanding
Level B Application
Level A Critical Analysis
Return to The Breadwinner Web Project Outline
Return to Enhancing Student Learning Through Layered Web Projects